9.20.2010

Got Strength?

I am a fan of strengths. I hope that I always tried to tap into my staff's strenghs. I hope that I tried to identify and work with others'. Mine are:
Strategic
Learner
Input
Connectedness
Significance
I thought that these, for the most part, sounded familiar and that they complimented me. I even wrote a paper about how I had the perfect job to accent them. Turns out that I worked for people who didn't understand how to strategically plan or follow through, My input fell on deaf ears, I did not feel connected to anyone in the end (except for people who used to work for me), and, ironically, they kept telling me that I ran a significant project, but clearly I was not taken seriously. I was hurt, sad, and mad. 
And here I sit.
Did my strengths work against me? Really, If I didn't have to have my head in the plan and feel important about it, would I still have a job?
 << sigh >>
So it's up to me to make these strenghts work for me now.
<< huh >>
Have you inventoried your strengths? I've seen people put them on their resumes (I don't really recommend that),  an indication that everyone seems to be talking in Tom Rath's language. Any Maximizers out there? Wooers?  I could stand to hear from a Empathyer about now.


2 comments:

PamO said...

The U of M is starting to use the strengths tool on the Freshmen in their Freshman Seminar classes in some of the colleges. They start with the strongest 6, and by the end of the year they will be looking at 34. Not sure how it all works, but they're all abuzz about it.

Moxie said...

Wow! Learning how to best work with others at the college level, and tap into strengths. I like it!